Sneak peek! FBFF is going up an hour early on the new blog!
For the Fashion Beauty Friend Friday questions this week, Katy reflected on outfit planning:
I was reading a couple blogs the other day that mentioned pre-planning outfits for the whole week or spending hours in the closet trying things on to find new outfits to wear. So then I wondered… how many fashion bloggers do this? How much of it is just random selection and how much of what we see is pre-determined?
For me, I think it’s a bit of both.
1. How do you determine what you will wear that day? Sometimes at night I might pull a few things from my closet for the next day. I might end up with an entire look or I might not pull it together until the next day. What I get together is definitely directly related to how inspired/creative/overly caffeinated I am at that point in time. A lot of bloggers start with one piece and build around it, but I only occasionally pull things together like that. I’m more of a general concept dresser— I start with an idea or a bit of a theme like edgy, romantic, bohemian…
2. Do you plan outfits out in advance for a whole week, month, weekend? Yikes, definitely not, I’m not that careful or organized! The only time I plan is when I’m packing for a trip, especially an extended one. When I do put things together for packing I take photos with my iPhone. I really need a valet bar because I hang things up on the doors of my wardrobe. It’s usually impossible to close!
(Look familiar? L to R: wardrobe door/valet bar look for Toronto, love but didn’t buy, polka dots)
3. Do you have any specific way of tracking outfits and items already worn so you don’t repeat? I can usually remember exactly when I’ve last worn something, I’m one of those people that connects clothing with events so outfits usually write themselves into my memory. And, of course, I have photos with metadata and tags on blog posts to help me out! Flickr too!
4. How do you discover new combinations of items in your closet? (Trial try-ons? Hanging items together?) I almost always discover some new way of wearing something at midnight when I’m heavily caffeinated and extremely underslept. That late at night I’m looking for something to wear the next day and probably feeling like I can’t do anything new… and then I just pick up something random and it begins to come together :) Of course, nothing beats trying things on, sometimes things you think will look great actually look… ridiculous. That happens to me a lot.
(Potential outfits I liked but didn’t wear. Will be photographed (with some tweaks) in the future.)
5. To streamline the process for 2011 what is one new thing you can do to cut down your dressing time? I really need to take the pile (it’s a small mountain, really) of things that are supposed to be altered to the tailor. So I don’t keep picking things out of if, become dissatisfied with the fit, and them promptly throw them down again :)
Lately I’ve also been snapping photos of things I like the idea of, might want to buy, or just for general inspiration. I keep them on my phone but I’m thinking about loading them to Flickr and using tags to keep them organized and easy to access! Then I can share them more easily too!
(Anthropologie Toronto display, J.Crew catalogue girls glitter oxfords, J.Crew SoHo display)
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or join the FBFF Google Group!